Join us at 6:30 PM on Wednesday evenings during the summer for some fun summer runs with the family-friendly Decathlon Series! All ages and abilities are welcome. No pre-registration required; just show up.
After taking a year off due to all of the social restrictions, the summer decat
The Frederick County Public Schools adjusted their sports schedule to cram a year of sporting events into a 6-month time slot. One of the impacts of that decision is that high school tracks are being used to near the end of the school year. That eliminates our use of tracks during the month of June.
Beginning Wednesday, June 2, and continuing each Wednesday during the month of June, our races will be held in a Tour-de-Parks format. There will still be a warm-up run, a decathlon event with age-graded scoring, a kids run, and an additional running experience based on park facilities. Please check each event for its location!
The playground areas will be a bonus for families and the park settings should provide a fun venue. While the races will be accurately measured, we do lose the 400 meter lap times and not all the courses will be as flat as a track.
We will return to our regular track races starting July 7. The later events are mostly at Frederick High School, but we couldn’t reserve the track for one of them, so it will take place in Middletown.
- Arrive a bit before 6:30 PM to sign-in
- 1600m warm-up
- Main timed event (200 m through 2 mi, different each week)
- Run in heats
- Heat placement is voluntary
- Kids’ 100 m dash (untimed) – freeze pops for the kids at the end
- Fun relay event (optional, generally untimed)
Decathlon Series Races
- 06/02/2021 – Summer Decathlon 1600m (Middletown Park)
- 06/09/2021 – Summer Decathlon 2 mile (Heritage Park)
- 06/16/2021 – Summer Decathlon 1 mile (Othello Park)
- 06/23/2021 – Summer Decathlon 3000m (Utica Park)
- 06/30/2021 – Summer Decathlon 1500m (Urbana District Park)
- 07/07/2021 – Summer Decathlon 800m (Frederick High School Track)
- 07/14/2021 – Summer Decathlon 400m (Frederick High School Track)
- 07/21/2021 – Summer Decathlon 1000m (Frederick High School Track)
- 07/28/2021 – Summer Decathlon 200m (Middletown High School Track)
- 08/04/2021 – Summer Decathlon 600m (Frederick High School Track)
- Series consists of the 10 races to the extent those events are held.
- In a given race, the runner’s time used for scoring is their “age-graded result” determined by their age on race day and their actual time (see below).
- All races count towards scoring.
- You must run a minimum of 5 races to qualify for an award.
- Participation is open to paid FSRC members.
- Score for a given race is based on the number of FSRC members within each gender, multiplied by 10. For example, if there are 25 women in a given race, the first place women would receive 250 points, 2nd place 240 points, etc. down to 10 points for the last place woman.
- In the event of a tie between runners in a race, the points will be split between the runners. For example if two runners tie for first in a race with 25 of that gender, each runner would receive 245 points.
Age-graded scoring allows runners of any age and any gender to be compared fairly against each other. If you are interested in the fine details, click here. The official age-grading calculator used by FSRC for the Decathlon Series can be found here.
Members placing in the top 10 for the series for each gender receive an award at the FSRC End-of-Summer Picnic.