** COVID-19 Update March 1, 2021: The Steeplechasers will resume finish line/timing services as of July 1, assuming that in-person racing is allowed by state and local authorities and COVID risk is manageably low. We are now accepting tentative bookings for dates in the second half of 2021. **
The Frederick Steeplechasers Running Club has decades of experience providing timing, course marking, and promotion services to race directors in the local Frederick community. Our services are a low-cost alternative for small (less than 500 finishers) races.
Client races receiving finish line and/or course marking services will be required to furnish proof of insurance.
We look forward to working with you to make your race successful.
We’re always looking for volunteer help on our Race Support team. Watch for opportunities to be announced on the Frederick Steeplechasers Running Club Facebook group, or send email to email@example.com.
Race directors may choose from a menu of race support services:
- Finish line and timing
- Course marking
- Promotion (standard or premium)
- Posting of results on our website
Finish Line and Timing
- Timing/scoring is performed using the “Time Machine” race timing equipment and race bib pull-tags. This timing methodology is a low-cost approach, best suited for races with fewer than 500 finishers.
- FSRC will provide, set up, and operate finish line and timing equipment, including a large display clock, Time Machine Race Timer, finish line chute, flags, signage, and related materials.
- An awards sheet will be filled out, recording top finishers in categories provided by the race organizers.
- Finish times will be recorded on the pull-tags from race bibs, and the ordered tags will be turned over to the race organizers for final results compilation.
- Fee structure is based on the number of finishers in the previous year. New races will be assumed to be fewer than 200.
- Race course will be marked with cones, mile markers and directional signage.
- You may add your race to the online FSRC Events Calendar. Submit your race for publication on the FSRC race calendar via the FSRC Add Event page.
- Your race will be included in the twice-monthly “Featured Races” email that is sent to the FSRC-maintained list of over 12,000 local runners. See this example of one of our email blasts. You may subscribe to our email list to receive the promotion emails directly to your inbox.
- FSRC will begin featuring your race in the twice-monthly email up to three months prior to your race date. The sooner you get us the information, the sooner we can begin promoting your race.
- Fill out a Race Services Form or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up for our Premium Promotion services.
- We recommend that you use our race results template for formatting your results file.
- We will post your results to the Results page of our website. Send the file to email@example.com.
|Finish Line||200 or fewer projected finishers – $250|
|201-300 projected finishers – $300|
|301-400 projected finishers – $350|
|401-500 projected finishers – $400|
|Course Marking||Standard Frederick City 5k Course – $100|
|Custom Course – inquire|
|Promotion||Standard – $0|
|Premium – $75|
If you are interested in booking our finish line and/or course marking services, you may check our Availability Calendar to search for an open date in our race schedule. Dates in green are fully available. Dates in yellow may be available – please ask. When you are ready to request our services or if you would like more information, fill out a Request Race Services Form or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on planning a race, see our Race Planning Document.
Additional resources can be found online. We have found the information at Race Directors HQ to be helpful.
For information on getting a City of Frederick race permit, click here.
As of January 2018, the City of Frederick is requiring races to supply proof of traffic control services before race permits are approved. Acceptable forms of traffic control include:
DOT Approved Traffic Flaggers
We have received the following list of suggested DOT-approved Traffic Flaggers from the Frederick Police Department:
- Traffic Engineering Services, 9893 Brewers Ct, Laurel, MD 20723, 301-549-1950
- Flagger Force, 8170 Adams Drive, Hummelstown, PA 17036, 888.300.5215 | email@example.com
- CHS Traffic Control, 5397 Agro Dr, Frederick, Maryland 21703, (301) 874-3192
Off-duty Police Officers through the Fraternal Order of Police